• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My new HeroQuest box

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: My new HeroQuest box

Postby Ethica » May 5th, 2012, 6:29 pm

I would advise you build in room for stuff you might not possess yet, and maybe a bit for pens?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » May 6th, 2012, 12:00 am

sweet
definatly take pics!
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 6th, 2012, 2:47 am

Sjeng wrote:Well, I'm happy to announce I'm making my own box too! :D I'm pretty psyched. It's big enough to hold my HQ board, plus the 2 Dragon Strike boards, ánd all 5 D&D tiles too!
The bottom of the box holds my printed questbook, which has all official quests, the magazine quests, and a tie-in from this forum; it holds the notepad, rulebook, small tiles, dice, character cards etc.
I've also made an internal box for the miniatures and a pack of cards.
I'm going to burn the logo onto the lid :D

If I can, I'll post pictures as soon as I've made some ;)

From the sound of it it's actually a "Hero Quest crate"! :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 9th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Well, my box is DONE! yes!!! lots of work, but here's the result:

153 154 155
The box, closed and opened, with the HQ logo burned into the lid. I used a print and carbon paper to trace the lines. Then burned the lines into the wood.

156 157 158
The bottom has felt pads to avoid sratches. The chain holding the lid fits nidely besides the inlay box. The small ridges in the bottom serve to support the inlay box.

159 160 161
There's room for all my HQ, D&D and Dragon Strike stuff on the bottom, and I've made the spacers so they can fit the D&D boards as well. My Questbook is printed on A4 paper, and has all the official HQ questbooks from this website, plus the 4 magazine quests, and some extra quests too. Printed single sided, so if I printed double-sided, I could have fitted in more quests.

The inlay has plenty of room for all my HQ mini's (most are being painted atm), my D&D mini's, my DS mini's, and probably some of my Mantic mini's as well. :D

I love the result!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cynthialee » May 9th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Outstanding!

(wish I had a work shop to make a box like this....)
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 10th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Thanks! I'm thinking of a good way to make some sort of dividers in the inlay box to keep my mini's in place.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » May 10th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I suggest some sort of soft foam cut into long strips a few centimetres wide. Should keep things snug in place without damaging them.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 16th, 2012, 11:19 am

Nephew of Mentor wrote:That is a fine piece of handy work. I would certainly love to see information on how you made it. Are the instructions on the site here? I've been thinking of a similar project for a while, but have simply not gotten around to it.

Found this as a comment on my album. Thanks for the nice reply!

I started with laying out all my HQ/D&D stuff (books, tiles, dice, notepad, etc.) and moved them about on my table untill I roughly had an idea of how I wanted to store them. Of course the game board was the minimum size for the box.
Then I measured the layout, and drew it out (using AutoCAD). Once I had the inside measurements of the box, I took some multiplex wood and started sawing pieces. I cut out slots to fit the edges of the sides of the box together, and glued them together. The bottom was also glued. Did the same for the lid, and used copper edges to keep it solid. I also used tiny screws, not nails, on the edges, hinges and leather straps. (which was simply an old small belt).
The wooden inlay box was made the same, without copper edges. I made 2 holes to lift it out of the box.
The inlay is supported by the dividers in the bottom. Those were glued onto the bottom, and I cut in small slots to fit crossing parts together (if you know what I mean).
I traced the HQ logo onto the lid with carbon paper, then burned it in using a soldering iron.
Then I laquered the whole thing and let it dry a night.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » July 13th, 2012, 7:49 am

Necrothug wrote:One last photo of the last addition. After this, I believe it's complete. I added the Armory and Alchemist's shops to the inside of the lid.

Can you post that armoury and alchemist shop file here please? That looks great! I don't have those. I only have a slightly different armoury.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » July 13th, 2012, 10:07 am

that looks sharp.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion