• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Chests? How do they work?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Chests? How do they work?

Postby Thrawn » April 11th, 2012, 11:26 am

Thrawn wrote:We are talking about using the following rules moving forward with our group.
1) Any room can only be searched once. (Not once per hero.)
2) Each piece of furniture may be searched once.
A furniture search is a separate search from a room search.
You must be standing next to the furniture (including chests) to search it for treasure.

We actually are looking at the same for traps.
1) Each room searched for traps will reveal floor tiles with traps, NOT furniture.
2) Furniture must be searched for traps separately.

By the way, when we play, we separate into two types of games. "Playtest games" where we are specifically testing quests to post on the board, we always play the rules as written. No house rules like I show above. "Campaign Games" are our for fun games for ongoing campaigns, and we like to experiment with more house rules. Some of the house rules get written into the quests for playtest games, but they are always part of the quest or quest pack. We try to make sure the experience we are presenting in a quest isn't different because we had added a bunch of extra rules. (That was the hardest part of rewriting WAAAGH! I had to pull out most of the house rules.)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Thrawn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Blackthorn » January 7th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Nephew of Mentor wrote: There is one exception to my usual purist playing. I don't know where I got it, but my players have been playing for years with the rule that each room can be searched only once, period. Seeing some previous posts I am wondering where I got that, does anyone else do that?"

I've always played that way myself, probably through my own misunderstanding. Like you and Goblin-king, I don't generally add a lots of house rules and extra components to my HeroQuest game, but I've kept this rule even after learning that each hero can search the same room one time. To me, it doesn't make sense that a hero can still find loot after his companions already searched the same room or found the item(s) specified in the quest notes.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 4:18 pm

same here :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » January 7th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Ya I don't allow more than one search per room. But they must roll numeric dice for furniture, which is a separate search from room search. Furniture had nothing else on it after being searched. Snake eyes = critical fail, and it sets off a trap, even if there wasn't one to be set off. If it's something critical like having an artifact, then the NEXT person needs to roll anything but a critical fail to get it...but another trap can be sprung again!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 7th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Every time I read this title I think of the Insane clown posse song Miracles spoof where one of the guys says "Blankets, how do they work?".
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 8th, 2013, 2:26 am

Actually it's "Magnets, how do they work".

The funny thing is that the song is about miracles and other stuff we can't comprehend. But we actually DO know how magnets work, which just make them look hilariously stupid :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 8th, 2013, 3:08 am

We play like this:
First search in a room: draw treasure card from the golden deck
- more money, less hazard, average potions
Second search in a room: draw treasure card from the silver deck
- less money, more hazard, less potions

Only two searches per room allowed. Period.

Except for furnitures (except tables).
One search per piece of furniture: draw treasure card from the blue deck
- less money, more hazard, more potions

Plus one search per corridor part (from one corner/crossing to the next): draw treasure card from the black deck
- very little money, very much hazard, few potions
--> the corridor treasure search is for the very greedy and bored heroes.

I have 6 sets of treasure cards, that I divided into these four decks.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 8th, 2013, 5:54 am

now that's interesting. I suggest you start a new topic with these decks ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 8th, 2013, 11:06 am

I ment the spoof of that song from SNL.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 8th, 2013, 11:17 am

Fullork345 wrote:

I ment the spoof of that song from the dig your own grave websight, I'm not sure if that breaks the terms of service here or I'd have linked it.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Hah! Hadn't seen that one! Nice... Carry on.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules