• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Sjeng's miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Sjeng's miniatures

Postby drathe » October 25th, 2012, 11:26 pm

I like the idea of having Dwarf mercenaries. Great painting!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » November 4th, 2012, 9:24 am

Well, I've painted 3 zombies from the Mantic box Mhorgoth's Revenge, using the dipping technique (Army Painter's Quickshade). I speedpainted them, very sloppily, just slapped on the skin colour after basecoating them bone white, then painted on some colour for the clothes, eyes, blood, bones sticking out, the tile base etc. I just threw on the paint, thinned it a bit, so some of the colours would blend (to get a bruised purplish skin on some places).
Then I let it dry, and I dipped them in the Quickshade. I brushed off some of the excess dip, and let them dry. The result is actually quite good:

The after pictures were taken when they were still wet, after they dry, it looks a bit lighter.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 28th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Update!!! I've painted 4 more additional zombies, using the same technique, but a little more finesse :P
I've painted them a bit more precisely, and used a small brush to apply the quickshade dip. Works great!
After letting the models dry for a day, I sprayed them with 3 very quick/thin layers of matte varnish spray, which makes the shine go away completely. After that dried, I applied quickshade with a brush again, but only on the bloody parts, to make the blood and gore more shiny and wet-looking. The result is amazing:

Three zombies walking on a stone tile, dripping blood, and four zombies on a dirt tile with a few broken slabs of stone. For different areas :)

I've also made some spike traps. the long pike will be adorned with a corpse or a skeleton. I'll have to see what I have :)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Maike05 » November 28th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Nice painting as always ! Keep on working !

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 2nd, 2012, 3:46 pm

thanks! I've finished my first 5 skeletons from the same Mantic box as well, only need to spray them with matte varnish after the quickshade dries. Will post pics soon!

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » December 6th, 2012, 4:00 pm

and here they are! my first 5 dipped skeletons:

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » December 6th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Those look fantastic ! Did you also washed the bones ? Or is it a dry brush?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » December 6th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Liking them skeletons. Make me want to redo all my skeletons.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 7th, 2012, 2:00 am

Maike05 wrote:Those look fantastic ! Did you also washed the bones ? Or is it a dry brush?

1. basecoated them with bleached bone spray
2. drybrushed skull white over their bones
3. painted clothes blue, metal parts gunmetal, shields black, wooden parts dark brown, eyes a very watered down red, belts leather.
4. painted on the skulls and crossbones
5. dipped them in army painter Quickshade, shook them off well, used a small brush to remove excess blobs and clear the shields.
6. let it all dry well, then sprayed them with matte varnish 3 days later in 2 thin layers.

oh and obviously I made the bases with milliput, painted them black and drybrushed those from dark grey to light grey. I did not dip the base. I stopped at the ankles.

easy as pie and great results!

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » December 7th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Hmm... do I pack my minis and send them to you for painting, or do I have you packed and sent to my minis for painting... ? 8-)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures