• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ampersands Quest

Topics relating to WarhammerQuest.

Ampersands Quest

Postby ampersand » June 23rd, 2019, 9:29 am

well its been a while since i've really posted much here.
but i used to back in the day. http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1849

well ive been off playing various other different dungeon crawlers, Advanced Heroquest, Descent 2nd Edition, Warhammer Quest Silver tower, Warhammer Quest shadows over Hammerhal, and good old Heroquest.
But i always seemingly had 1 missing link in my evolutionary collection of dungeon crawlers in 1995's Warhammer Quest, seemingly not wanting to spend the hundreds of pounds people are asking for a copy of this, the foolhardy creator side of me took over

"I Know I'll make it from scratch"
And i never looked back, only kitted out with a few PDF rulebooks and some scanned images i set forth!
now whilst this project has been underway for about a year now, it also got stalled quite considerably due to not having too much hobby time. but i came back at it with a bang in the last 2 months
I have never played 1995 WHQ ever, so thats where the fool hardy side comes from, but it seems to contain many of the elements i love in a good old crawler. and ive made it this far so i might as well continue.

so without further ado, here is a compounded list of what i needed to do to at very least get myself in shape for the base game

Booklets
having already obtained PDF version recreations of these (not sure who done them but massive credit to them)
32 Page Rule book - DONE
16 page Adventure book - DONE
192 page roleplay book - DONE
How to play sheet - DONE

Playing Cards
Being quite handy with photoshop as well as a brush i set about first creating some brand new card templates and backs. this is MY warhammer quest and i can do what i like with it, whilst i could of gone for a whole new look and vibe i decided i wanted to keep some elements of the old aesthetic in place
19 event cards - DONE
23 Dungeon cards - DONE
30 Treasure cards - DONE
15 Spell cards - DONE - awaiting print
4 Warrior cards - not yet created.Going to use character sheets
4 Battle level Cards - not going to bother its all in the booklets
4 Equipment cards- not going to bother. can utilise character sheets
Hero Tokens - colour coded to match dice i did this so i do not need to have individual tokens per warrior and with them matching the players dice this makes it easily identifiable = DONE awaiting print

Floorplans
i had managed to snag some high res images of the original cards and laid them out onto x2 A0 poster sized images ready for printing, the toughest part here was finding a type of card more reminiscent of that used in more common board games. the modulat nature of the game means they need to be pretty sturdy. and various past ventures left me with warped cards or heavy cards that were just too much to handle. I ended up settling on 2mm thick Greyboard i nabbed of Amazonhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D6DLJGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
23 floorplans
Corridor ​Corner
Corridor Passageway A x4
Corridor Passageway B x3
Corridor T-Junction x3
Corridor Stairway
Dungeon Room - Circle of Power
Dungeon Room - Dungeon Cell
Dungeon Room - Guard Room
Dungeon Room - Monsters Lair
Dungeon Room - Torture Chamber
Dungeon Room - Well of Doom
Objective Room - Fighting Pit
Objective Room - Firechasm
Objective Room - Fountain of Light
Objective Room - Idol Chamber
Objective Room - Tomb Chamber

48 Markers and counters
These were all added to the same A0 posters as the floor tiles to maximise my costs and also put onto the same greyboard.

Miniatures (91)
The Juicy bit!

I already own a shed load of mini's and was one of the many reasons why i decided against picking up a copy on ebay..i simply can't see myself using many of the older mini's considering i have a lot of options already.
4 warrior models - classic Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, Wizard combo. have lots to choose from but will go with these guys to start me off before i decide to kitbash anything more fitting. i just need to paint up the bases
6 Orc Warriors - Proxy - i managed to nab a ruck load of these off ebay. not perfect now they are OOP over and GW i wanted to retain some aspect of familiarity, but i will add my own sense of character to them
6 Orc Archers - Proxy - older orc arrer boys ready to be painted
6 Goblin Spearmen - DONE
6 Goblin Archers - goblin stikkas awaiting painting
12 skaven - Proxy - DONE
3 Minotaurs - Proxy - I resculpted an old GW minotaur many moons ago which i would like to cast up and utilise for these as they arent too big but still menacing enough.
12 Giant Spiders - DONE
12 Giant Bats - Proxy - GW Bat swarm awaiting painting
12 Giant Rats - done
12 Snotlings - done
10 Dungeon Doorways - i have a load of zealot door i created not so long back which will fit perfectly DONE

with all of the components i have currently created, you can already see i am well on my way, only really needing to sort out a few miniatures here and there...and some treasure cards..dare i try to play with unpainted mini's??? :skeleton:
maybe. but i wont be posted such sacrilege here, i'll have to paint them up

but i was able to run a couple of mock dungeon layouts as a trial run
1 glaring fault stood out here that maybe this picture might give away (please ignore all of the carboard dust everywhere) |_P

well thats my basis.
i'm currently working on a solution to fix said fault (20 internets to whoever points it out first)
sculpting a spider prototype.
and have to finish bases on the main 4 warriors, snotlings and rats.
as well as having the Goblin archers and bats to paint up.
and many more other mini's that i hope to post here, hopefully you guys can give me a little encouragement with this huge task and maybe help me out here and there with those that have the game regarding rulings, and hopefully in return this will help others or inspire to do similar.

i have also as part of my money saving swish with all of these printed cards and floorplans created the cards and floorplans from every expansion and White Dwarf article as well as many other fan made items too that i will share at a later date.

well heres to questing. and will be posting up all of my progress and sharing with you :barbarian: :dwarf: :elf: :wizard:
Last edited by ampersand on August 22nd, 2019, 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ampersands Quest

Postby clmckay » June 23rd, 2019, 10:24 am

Wow! That’s amazing! You got the greyboard off amazon, did you do the tile printing yourself?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » June 23rd, 2019, 10:37 am

clmckay wrote:Wow! That’s amazing! You got the greyboard off amazon, did you do the tile printing yourself?

thanks glad you like.
the tiles i got printed onto two A0 poster sized prints at a local printers (only took 1 picture at the time sorry.

i then cut them out with a 15mm border and using mounting spray adhesive and stuck them all to the greyboard
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayMount-GS200034899-Spray-Adhesive-400ml-Clear/dp/B000NJZXHS/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3M39JMNU11UGJ&keywords=spray+mounting+adhesive&qid=1561300481&s=gateway&sprefix=mounting+spray+a%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-15

then once done i set about cutting them out, it took about 15 light cuts per edge...lets just say it took about a week to get the feeling back in my finger lol

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 23rd, 2019, 1:40 pm

Well, f*** me sideways...
Welcome back, mate! |_P
Not been posting much myself lately, but I just have to greet you back into the fold.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » June 23rd, 2019, 2:35 pm

Welcome back!

I bought the game in two parts for about $150 a few years ago. I got everything except the barbarian mini... and since I copied yours, I wouldn't even want one. I actually wanted the monster models, so for me this was a great buy.

Your reproduction looks amazing! I believe the issue you point out is the door sitting between two tiles? Those Zealot doors are not very stable and will tend to fall over on you. Especially considering the extent to which the dungeon must be shifted to constantly make room on the table. The originals actually pinch the tiles together. You could effectively solve this by playing on a 6x4 gaming table.

Was this the issue? What solutions do you see?
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » June 23rd, 2019, 5:21 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Well, f*** me sideways...
Welcome back, mate! |_P
Not been posting much myself lately, but I just have to greet you back into the fold.

Knightkrawler..always a pleasure. be sure to to drop in with your amusing quips |_P (you break that painting duck yet?)

whitebeard wrote:Welcome back!

I bought the game in two parts for about $150 a few years ago. I got everything except the barbarian mini... and since I copied yours, I wouldn't even want one. I actually wanted the monster models, so for me this was a great buy.

Your reproduction looks amazing! I believe the issue you point out is the door sitting between two tiles? Those Zealot doors are not very stable and will tend to fall over on you. Especially considering the extent to which the dungeon must be shifted to constantly make room on the table. The originals actually pinch the tiles together. You could effectively solve this by playing on a 6x4 gaming table.

Was this the issue? What solutions do you see?

YOU WIN THE INTERNETS!! :roll6: :roll6: :roll6: :roll6: :roll6: |_P
my 6 year old daughter doesnt share my eloquent grace unfortunately. (im like a troll. she is more like a nuclear bomb) and our trial dungeons involved those doors being knocked over everytime she moved. to anyone else this is called ram raiding :lol:

so my solution unfortunately was not to go out and buy a brand new table :roll:
the solution was in the base game....make door clips!
so here is how i went about it

1. using 1mm thick plasticard i constructed a base/clip which was 30 in depth and as wide as my doors, the section inbetween which operates as the clip im made sure was as close to 0.1mm thinner than the overall floortiles, and additionally i pinned these clips to allow some flex upon gripping the tiles so not to damage them
2. checked they fit nice and snugly then repeated this process 13 times to cover the 12 doors and a portcullis
3. putting them all to one side i then worked on only one as my prototype, and sculpted some greenstuff flagstone to ensure the doors would fit nicely into the recess.
4. using Bluestuff i created a singular mold from my prototype
5. and then using my new mold proceeded to complete all of the others

i also wanted to share my spider 'prototype'
whilst it isnt finished on the sculpting front. i at least wanted to share the idea, which will either fall flat on its face...or succeed massively
so this guy is pretty small. and hit legs span is at most about 32mm.
you may also notice it is a very default sort of pose..and that it has wire through it, whilst the wire is there to build the sculpt onto. it is also there for another purpose.
once i have completed the sculpting on this spider i will attempt to make 12 replicas using a 2 part bluestuff mold. each one will have the same wireframe running through the middle. so with any luck..i will be able to pose each one uniquely.
and thats the part where it may just fall on its backside. but we shall see in the coming weeks haha

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » June 23rd, 2019, 6:20 pm

I'm very jealous that you printed up all of the expansions.

Your spider is cool. I hope this works out. I had to repair a few spider legs in my set, and I think one leg is missing and will need to be rebuilt from scratch. You might also cast yours without a frame, separate the legs, remove material for the bend and glue them in place. I'm not aware of the different grades of materials you can cast with... the stuff I have seen is too brittle for what you propose.

Also, you might consider using sticky tack to connect your doors to the new bases. This way the WHQ conversion is not permanent.

Please keep posting. Your work is always so incredible.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » June 23rd, 2019, 6:34 pm

whitebeard wrote:I'm very jealous that you printed up all of the expansions.

Your spider is cool. I hope this works out. I had to repair a few spider legs in my set, and I think one leg is missing and will need to be rebuilt from scratch. You might also cast yours without a frame, separate the legs, remove material for the bend and glue them in place. I'm not aware of the different grades of materials you can cast with... the stuff I have seen is too brittle for what you propose.

Also, you might consider using sticky tack to connect your doors to the new bases. This way the WHQ conversion is not permanent.

Please keep posting. Your work is always so incredible.

on the spiders because on using a bluestuff cast. i think using greenstuff will work. as its still relatively 'hard rubbery' in texture once used which will allow for more flex. but also the joints are just wirse so its so far deisnged to bend at the joints anyway.

and yup i was thinking about using some form of semi permanent option for the door. however all of my uses would require modular tiles (advanced heroquest) so its actually a worthwhile change. i think i will go with some minor tacky option until i make a final decision

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 24th, 2019, 1:21 am

I tried earlier in my life to glue printed sheets of paper to cardboard, and I had always the problem that it got round in the end. How did you solve that?

And... please, are those graphics available somewhere in high resolution?

It looks pretty great already!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » June 24th, 2019, 4:40 am

Anderas wrote:I tried earlier in my life to glue printed sheets of paper to cardboard, and I had always the problem that it got round in the end. How did you solve that?

do you mean like you bashed in the corners and they kinda squished up?
this card is pretty sturdy, i'd say as close to what you get in any game off the shelf.. not based in any corners yet, but would imagine if this happened to me. i would probably put a little modge podge or wood glue on the card corner and throw it into a flower press or something that could compress the card once dried i would imagine it solidifies that corner up and puts back into shape nicely.

oh and sent you a PM |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next