• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Leyirin Vale Quest Pack Setting

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Leyirin Vale Quest Pack Setting

Postby torilen » April 24th, 2013, 8:36 am

This is really more of a setting, as it is right now. I already have several quests/quest packs rolling around in
my head, and I will simply post those as a comment under this thread when I get them ready.

This piece I am posting here today will be a work in progress for a while, so check in occasionally to see what is new.
Take note that this material will make use of quite a few of my treasure-artifact cards, as well as my own expanded
weapons, armor, equipment and such, and may make use of other peoples as well. I will try to remember to link to
those threads should I use any one else's treasures and artifacts.
All of the links for my expanded materials and treasure-artifact cards can be found on page 3 of the pdf.

4-24-13:
Material includes 3 area maps, brief history of the vale and two interesting plot/quest hooks. Also includes character stats
for all eight of the "heroes" involved in the history of the vale.

4-30-13:
You will notice the difference in name in the subject. I had already determined a name when I originally posted this piece,
and forgot to tell myself. Sorry about the confusion on that.
I added a Brief History of the World, giving minor details about how the people go to this world, and the names of the deities.
I know there are some who could care less about religion in the game...even if you are one of those, the names could help if your
heroes want to visit a temple to get healing or what not...just to add that extra bit of flavor to the game.
I also added some missing names here and there...you might notice, you might not.
OH...and, I added the populations for the towns in the vale. I included a real world population, as well as what I term as easy to
manage game populations. I had mentioned this is another thread recently...so the game master would only have to create at most
30 or so game master characters...much easier to flesh out 30 than have to worry about 1000 or more individuals.

9-12-13:
I just noticed in one of my comments I had said the scale is 10 miles per hex space. This is not so - it is 5 miles per hex space.

9-20-13:
Updated the pdf for Leyirin Vale. I added a piece of map - there is now a wild valley south of Leyirin Vale. I also added information
about the kingdom of Ellianel. All of the links for my other works are updated, as well, and should feature every single useful work I've
posted.
Just as a side note - It appears as if Templar is going to sign on to work on this project. I've added his name into the credits, since he
came up with a plot item - the pirate outpost in the swamp south of Ellianel. If anyone else wants to work within Leyirin Vale, let me know.
I'll add in whatever information is needed to the main setting, and you are welcome to post quests that take place within the vale.

11-20-13:
GREAT NEW STUFF - exciting stuff. Templar has started adding in material...he has started detailing a small section in the north of
the Kingdom of Ellianel - added in a new game master character, as well. Very happy to have him aboard.
Also - I added two new pieces of the map - expands the world to the north a little bit, and adds some islands off to the northeast of the
mainland. Added some notes about one of the new maps - I'll be working on fleshing that out.
As always, anyone else is welcome to join in. Just message me with ideas you have, and I'll let you know whether to run with them or if
someone else is working in the same place. I will say this up front - the new map area, with the library - I have big ideas for that...but
you're still welcome to join in...just realize I may be a little bit stingier in that part of the world. There are lots of open areas that need
to be brought alive, though.

Leyirin Vale.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by torilen on November 20th, 2013, 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Karich Vale Quest Pack Setting

Postby Daedalus » April 24th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I like the maps. Will you allow a group of Heroes to wander over it? A map then becomes an exploration board, with hexes instead of squares. If so, you could seed it with encounter areas that are keyed to Quests that the Heroes could discover. Towns would also provide rumors that would point to certain encounter areas, as would NPC directed Quests.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » April 24th, 2013, 7:09 pm

If you have a way of printing the hexes off large enough, or have some sort of token that is small enough to
use, then yeah, using the maps as adventure boards is always an option.

I have to remember to put in a scale tonight...I forget to do that. The scale is 1 hex = 10 miles.

I plan to include information about the towns...what can be found in the stores, a few interesting
characters that might hold good information. That will take a while, though.

EDIT: Sorry - I was writing a quick response at my dad's house - now I can write a bit more now that I'm at home.

As far as creating tables or such or encounters...I actually have part of a game that I created that does that...I had it
set up for heroes to compete against each other to the final goal - ridding the kingdom of the dragon. It was a wilderness
adventure game, where you would move a certain number of hexes, and roll for an encounter at various times.

But that would be very simple to do. Just set up an encounter table for grasslands, hills, mountains, forests, and swamps.
You would have to decide when to roll for an encounter...that might be the hard part.
As it is setup right now, the scale is 1 hex = 10 miles...so the heroes could only move maybe 2 hexes in a day.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » April 25th, 2013, 9:17 am

Just an update - I've started on one quest that will take place in Karich Vale. Should be okay for heroes equal
to those who may have gone through the first original quest pack or two.

Also - just a note - I may leave open any background info for the eight original explorers of the vale...my
reasoning for this, so any game master wishing to use this material can make the backgrounds themselves,
and make the characters their own...in case they have a special focus they might have for their game group.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Leyirin Vale Quest Pack Setting

Postby torilen » April 30th, 2013, 8:55 am

Updated the file for the vale - added a bit to it last night.

Also - update on the quest. It is about 1/2 complete...should be able to finish it soon, if work is
slow enough this week. It is looking like this might even be a good quest for heroes who have finished
only the first original quest pack...maybe even beginner heroes. I'll have to test a few things to determine
the difficulty. Take note that there is an opening in this quest to lead to another small setting/quest.
You'll see what it is done.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » May 26th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Okay, I've added a bit to the setting...but not enough to update that. Maybe by the end of the week I'll
be able to update it.

BUT...I have posted the first quest that takes place in the vale. If you read it, you'll notice some ideas
included for the future, depending on how things turn out with the heroes on the quest (if they take the quest).

Find the quest here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1739&p=20888#p20888

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » May 29th, 2013, 9:08 am

New quest added, and it takes place in the Vale. You go after one of the main
troubles in the Vale - the Bolgiben goblin tribe.

Find it here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1746&p=21073#p21073

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Templar » September 11th, 2013, 9:31 am

This is going to be a HUGE package when it all is done...and it will still allow for any amount more you would like to add later...

I, like many others I am sure, have thought of making up a setting where the heroes/players can do almost anything they want, go anywhere they want, and find different quest depending on what they do. I will probably never have the patience to actually do it though...but I am glad that someone has taken up the challenge! I salute your ambitious spirit! |_P

Have a :cookie: , you've earned it :D
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » September 11th, 2013, 7:57 pm

I haven't worked on this much in quite a while - I need to get going on it again, try to come up with some good
quests to add in, and maybe try to add to the regional info some more.

Whew.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Templar » September 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

If you want any help, say with an isolated quest or some limited map/world backstories, I would be glad to help! :)

Though I understand if you like to do it alone...there is nothing like being able to say "I did this myself" 8-)
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs