• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Monsters by Torilen

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Monsters by Torilen

Postby torilen » July 1st, 2010, 2:34 pm

I've got a lot of new monsters to work out all the way and put up here, but here is one
that I can put up now - fairly easy to work out - a new TYPE of monster, too - if anyone has an
easier way to explain this, let me know. I know it looks a little complicated at first - its not though.

Faerie Fiddler
Move = 12
AD = 1 (walking stick - as staff, but no diagonal attack)
DD = 2
Body = 2
Mind = 8
Has access to 3 spells
This is a creature that lives in forests and enchanted areas, and looks like a dwarf/gnome mix.
Being it is a magical creature, it can move very fast
Ability - Fiddle/Dancing Magic
Upon catching sight of what might be intruders in its home, this creature will begin to play its
magical fiddle. Any heroes who hears this music (any in the same room/corridor) will start to
dance uncontrollably. To resist the music, each hero must roll combat dice equal to his Mind Score -
the Fiddler rolls the same - treat this as a normal combat attack (monster must roll skulls, heroes must
roll white shields). The heroes may attempt this each turn until they break the spell. If the heroes are
able to roll an equal number of white shields or more than the Fiddler rolls skulls, the spell is broken for
that hero.
For two turns of dancing, no harm will be done. The third turn of dancing will give the hero -2 on all rolls
(that is, -2 attack and defense dice, -2 movement spaces, etc.)
The fifth turn of dancing will cause the hero to make only ONE action, either move or attack/cast spell/etc.
If the hero breaks the spell after harm has been done, the harmful effect lasts for one full turn after breaking
the spell.
If the hero does not break spell by the 7th turn of dancing, on the 7th turn he will fall unconscious from exhaustion.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Monsters by Torilen

Postby ken » September 16th, 2011, 9:34 am

torilen wrote:I've got a lot of new monsters to work out all the way and put up here, but here is one
that I can put up now - fairly easy to work out - a new TYPE of monster, too - if anyone has an
easier way to explain this, let me know. I know it looks a little complicated at first - its not though.

Faerie Fiddler
Move = 12
AD = 1 (walking stick - as staff, but no diagonal attack)
DD = 2
Body = 2
Mind = 8
Has access to 3 spells
This is a creature that lives in forests and enchanted areas, and looks like a dwarf/gnome mix.
Being it is a magical creature, it can move very fast
Ability - Fiddle/Dancing Magic
Upon catching sight of what might be intruders in its home, this creature will begin to play its
magical fiddle. Any heroes who hears this music (any in the same room/corridor) will start to
dance uncontrollably. To resist the music, each hero must roll combat dice equal to his Mind Score -
the Fiddler rolls the same - treat this as a normal combat attack (monster must roll skulls, heroes must
roll white shields). The heroes may attempt this each turn until they break the spell. If the heroes are
able to roll an equal number of white shields or more than the Fiddler rolls skulls, the spell is broken for
that hero.
For two turns of dancing, no harm will be done. The third turn of dancing will give the hero -2 on all rolls
(that is, -2 attack and defense dice, -2 movement spaces, etc.)
The fifth turn of dancing will cause the hero to make only ONE action, either move or attack/cast spell/etc.
If the hero breaks the spell after harm has been done, the harmful effect lasts for one full turn after breaking
the spell.
If the hero does not break spell by the 7th turn of dancing, on the 7th turn he will fall unconscious from exhaustion.

I love it! Reminds me of my Orc Cymbals, who appears from time to time, much to the disgust of younger family members!
Take a look at the New Monsters Thread. :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » November 26th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Okay - so, I've created a lot of monsters for my expanded version, and decided to write some of them
up for use with HQ. I'll be releasing them in groups, based on setting types and/or grouping of like-monsters.
I plan to release setting notes and (hopefully) a few quests to go with each product.

I hope you all enjoy them.

This first set for adventuring in sylvan/enchanted forests and places such as that.

UPADTE:
As of 12-9-2011 - I added a set for giant-kin and dragon-kin. It includes some
tips on how to run the dragon, should you decide that you REALLY hate your players. :)

UPDATE:
As of 12-9-2011 - I added a set for an "arabian nights" setting. I will more than likely
add to this set, and will update as soon as I feel it is complete.

UPDATE:
As of 2-10-2012 - I added a set for vermin and insects and such, as well as my thoughts on undead.

UPDATE:
As of 2-12-2012 - I reformatted all (except perilous pests) to print in vertical form instead of portrait. I've found
the portrait format doesn't work well once printed...kind of annoying (at least to me, it is). I also added to the satyr
in "sylvan adventures" - his pipes now hypnotize AND put to sleep, which it wishes. This is to aid in an adventure
that I am starting to work on for that setting.

UPDATE:
As of 3-11-2012 - I combined 4 of the monster sets (undead, desert dreams, greater than life obstacles, and sylvan adventures)
into one package - Heroquest Monsters Set - Set 1. I also fixed the problem of the "double wraith" entry on the undead set,
and added information about genie lamps in the desert dreams set.
I am working on a few new sets, and should hopefully add one or two in the next week or so. Until then, Enjoy.

UPDATE:
As of 5-17-2012 - I finally got around to finishing up ALL of the monsters - all the good oldies, as well as my originals.
I updated a few things, changed a few things, improved some things...and they're all good to go.
The improvements I made to the monsters, I tried to keep as simple as possible, in the spirit of HQ.
For reference, any other pieces I put up here that are for the actual HQ game (not my own personal game systems)
will probably use this monster list. Hope everyone is okay with that. I'll reference this in the other pieces I post, and
will try to remember to put a link.

UPDATE: Monsters will now be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1212&p=12572#p12572
Last edited by torilen on June 11th, 2012, 3:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Templar » November 27th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Nice work here torilen! I can imagine allmost all of these monsters, but what is a brownie? :? Sounds delicious :mrgreen:

Am really liking the plantman. I hope you get a nice model for it!
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 27th, 2011, 4:40 pm

A brownie is a kind of "tomte" (to use the swedish word) ;-)
Their characteristics and behavior is very different from story to story.
But mostly the usual stuff, hiding and helping in the house, but be carefull not to piss it off.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong tho... ;-)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » November 27th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Goblin-king - you are correct. A brownie is a house faerie...usually helpful, but don't piss it off,
or it'll be bad news.

Templar...and others - I do not have minis for any of these. I honestly doubt I ever will, though I would love
to have some, and if I ever run across any, and have the money, I would buy them in a heart beat.
For me...I come from the old school D&D grouping of players - you would have to use your imagination to see
what the creatures look like.

If anyone REALLY wants it, I could write up a description for each of these, for you to use while playing. It might
take a few days, though. Just let me know.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Templar » December 9th, 2011, 8:14 am

I imagine the plant-man looking something like this :D
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/p ... down/03243
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 9th, 2011, 10:07 am

Actually - yeah...that kind of looks like how I imagined it would be. That might be a little
taller than I was thinking - I was thinking they would be normal human size, and that looks more like
troll size.
But yeah...I would use that for the creature if I had it.

By the way - I'm in the process of putting together a package for giant-kin and dragon-kin.
Also, I've been running through my mind a good setting design for using the faerie/nature
monsters I've presented, and hope to type that up soon. Just in case anyone is interested.

As far as the dragons are concerned, I will include tips for running a dragon...tactics it
might use for combat situations and such.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » December 11th, 2011, 6:58 am

Swamp Shambler sounds better than Plant Man.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 11th, 2011, 8:05 am

I agree with Ethica - Plant Man does sound a little too generic.
Swamp Shambler is nice. Or plant Fiend perhaps? Or even Moss Devil!!! Yeah I rather like that one!

MOSS... Devil!
Moss devil
El Diablo del Musgos!!!

yeeeearh...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Monsters