• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

Postby Sjeng » September 24th, 2012, 6:11 am

I've been experimenting with instant-mold and milliput, and with some degree of succes :)

I've recently bought some warhammer ogre bodies, because I had many spare bits from my ogre battallion box, like heads, arms, weapons and belly-shields, so with only a few extra bodies, I could make more ogres. The only thing they were missing were the shoes and of course bases.
The original WH bases are big, 2x2, plastic bases, that don't fir on the HQ board. So I used instant-mold and milliput to make new shoes and new bases. I simply copied the plastic shoes from the warhammer sprues to make extras, and for the HQ base, I used a zombie because the feet are close in the center, and are easy to cut off of the cast. Some pictures:

IMG_0014.jpg

I simply placed the zombie in my Lego mold with the soft instant-mold around his feet, and firmly pressed it down. When it hardened, I cut the mold open on one side, and used a knife to cut through the mold between the legs. I could then pry the model out of the instant-mold, and I cut off all excess mold from that. Then I placed it upside down in the Leo again, which held it nicely together as I had cut the mold. Then I pressed in some milliput, and let it harden overnight.
The next day, I took it out, filed off the edges, and cut off the cast feet. Then I filed the top and bottom so they were smooth, and this is the result.

Next, I made 2 more molds from this prototype base, and used more milliput. The easy way to make molds from any item with a flat bottom is using Lego, as shown here:

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Now you can use the molds to make more bases with milliput!
These are excellent for ogres :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Daedalus on May 9th, 2021, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved topic from General Heroquest Discussion room
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Homemade HQ bases with milliput/instant-mold

Postby Thor-in » February 17th, 2019, 10:37 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Stuff-8Ba ... SwpDdVcfyd

Looks like this is the stuff Sjeng was using. I'm planning on buying some in the future and trying to make some bases for the 1991 GW figures I just got on eBay, that don't come with HQ bases.

You could probably do the same thing with oven bake clay, and a releasing agent to create the mold.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » February 18th, 2019, 3:05 am

Thanos had HQ bases in his store. Might be easier than making your own.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » February 18th, 2019, 6:28 am

These are looking nice :D
Just a fyi, that in about a month, I'll have some injection moulded plastic ones on the store too :) Can sell them cheaper than the current resin ones and the same HIPS plastic as the HQ figures, so can be glued with poly cement |_P
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 18th, 2019, 7:00 am

StratosVX wrote:Thanos had HQ bases in his store. Might be easier than making your own.

Yes I do know that Thantos has some cheaper, this was more of a "hey look you could make your own in a pinch if needed".

Thantos wrote:These are looking nice :D
Just a fyi, that in about a month, I'll have some injection moulded plastic ones on the store too :) Can sell them cheaper than the current resin ones and the same HIPS plastic as the HQ figures, so can be glued with poly cement |_P

I remember you telling me they would be ready in about a month (I'm still planning on buying some when they are done). Looks like this stuff actually would work good for creating molds for any broken parts, like a missing sword or axe.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 18th, 2019, 8:21 am

Thantos wrote:These are looking nice :D

Any possibility they will be available in NA format too?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thantos » February 19th, 2019, 6:11 am

j_dean80 wrote:Any possibility they will be available in NA format too?

Maybe the next version to be done in resin :P To be perfectly honest, i only learnt that the NA version of bases was different a short while ago :roll:

Thor-in wrote: Looks like this stuff actually would work good for creating molds for any broken parts, like a missing sword or axe.

Mega kudos if you make a much coveted candlestick and rat mould ;)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » February 19th, 2019, 12:11 pm

j_dean80 wrote:Any possibility they will be available in NA format too?

Thantos wrote: Maybe the next version to be done in resin :P To be perfectly honest, i only learnt that the NA version of bases was different a short while ago :roll:

Since discovering the differences at this here forum, I've always just been under the impression that the NA versions were intended to be the same, but were just victims of mold degradation.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 19th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Thantos wrote:
Thor-in wrote: Looks like this stuff actually would work good for creating molds for any broken parts, like a missing sword or axe.

Mega kudos if you make a much coveted candlestick and rat mould ;)

.......You know, I do believe that I have a candlestick and rat that are completely in tacked. I don't use them just for that reason. Maybe they should have a thin piece of wire in the middle to stop them from completely breaking again, if I can create the molds.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby arch8ngel » March 12th, 2019, 2:03 pm

That is a great looking method for mold-tooling.

I picked up the Dungeon Plunger Cutter set from Green Stuff World (for shipping from Spain it showed up incredibly quickly), and I've been dabbling with stamping tiles in Super Sculpey.

But working the Scupley is a big enough pain that at some point I will want to make molds, and your method looks like a winner.

Also, something like the plunger cutter or one of the texture-rollers that Green Stuff World sells would make a great addition to your HQ-style bases.
i.e. make the initial base in Milliput, then after it hardens add another layer that you texturize to mimic the dungeon floor -- then cast from there.
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Next

Return to Miniatures